MU2 – #1 Meaningful Use in 2014 – A Primer For Everyone
If you attested to Meaningful Use and earned EHR Incentive funds for 2011 and/or 2012, you will need to start now to prepare for Meaningful Use Stage 2 in 2014. During the remainder of 2013, MSOC Health will be assisting our clients in understanding the new requirements through regular postings to a new blog, Getting Ready for MU 2. Updates will be posted approximately twice each month.
Sign up here to have the MU 2 blog posts delivered directly to your email inbox.
And now, for the first blog post …
The basic concepts of the EHR Incentive Program for eligible providers (aka ‘Meaningful Use’ or ‘MU’) are fairly well understood, but there are many changes in 2014 that everyone needs to be aware of, whether you are just starting out with an EHR or whether you have participated in the program since 2011. Here are key facts you need to know:
- You must upgrade to a new version of your EHR software, which has received 2014 Certification, regardless of whether you will be attesting under Stage 1 or Stage 2. Some vendors will charge for this upgrade.
- If you are an Eligible Provider and don’t meet MU requirements in either 2013 or 2014, you should expect a 1% cut to Medicare payments in 2015.
- Every provider gets at least 2 years at each MU stage. If you started in 2011 or 2012, you’ll need to report on Stage 2 in 2014. If you are starting in 2013, you’ll report on Stage 2 in 2015.
- In 2014, you will have only 4 opportunities to meet the new Stage 2 criteria. The reporting period in 2014 will be a calendar quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec) unless it is your first year of participation.
- 2014 is the last year that providers can begin participation in the Medicare Incentives Program. You’ll report for any continuous 90 day period that ends by September 30, 2014. You must attest by October 1, 2014 in order to avoid the 1% cut to Medicare payments in 2015.
- If you are participating in the Medicaid Program and have Medicare revenue, you will see the 1% cut in 2015 if you haven’t attested to MU by October 1, 2014. Note that the first year of Medicaid participation is for Adopt/Implement/Upgrade (AIU) and does not count as attesting for MU.
Visit the CMS website for more details: www.cms.gov/ehrincentiveprograms
Need help unraveling the complexities of Meaningful Use? MSOC Health can help! Contact Jeanne Chamberlin at 919-442-2422 or email@example.com.
To learn more about Meaningful Use, read the entire blog series, Getting Ready for MU 2:
- Intro to Stage 2 – Who needs to get ready
- Stage 1 changes in 2013/2014
- The Same … But More (measures w/higher thresholds & menu-to-core)
- Ordering and Results (CPOE/Lab Results)
- Access to Electronic Info – Patient Portal
- Secure Messaging and Implementing Patient Portal
- Clinical Summaries
- Patient Reminders
- Summary of Care – Part 1
- Summary of Care – Part 2, Electronic Exchange
- Clinical Quality Measures and Clinical Decision Support
- Public Health & Registry Reporting